Sausage & Lentil and Spinach & Mushroom stuffed shells
Stuffed shells served two ways: sausage and lentils, or spinach and mushrooms, hopefully you serve together.
- 1 pound pork sausage (4 – 6 non-breakfast links skins removed, or ground)
- 1 onion and 6 shallots or 12 shallots
- 1 TBLS Dijon Mustard
- 2 TBLS White wine (your preference)
- 1.5 cups Lentils (green are heartier, and red fall apart easier, but whichever you prefer)
- 1 lb pasta shells (medium or large)
- 2 cups Parmesan
- 2 cups Ricotta
- 2 cups Mozzarella
- SPINACH ALTERNATIVE:
- use 10 oz of chopped spinach instead of sausage
- AND 1 Pound of mushrooms, chopped
- Use a white cream sauce instead of red on top for final plating.
- Cook the lentils (presoak overnight if need be, or pressure cook day of)
- Brown the Pork, and after your cook it, make sure you mince/chop it again, as pork likes to shrink and stick together, not fall apart as easily a beef.
- Cook the pasta shells and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the cheeses together, adjusting Ricotta amount to get a formable cheese.
- Saute the shallots, dijon, white wine, then add the chopped pork and stir.
- Place the lentils/pork mixture in one side of the shell, and an equal or lesser amount of cheese mixture on the other side.
- Bake the shells on a cookie sheet, until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite pasta (red recommended) on top.